- General information
MCFI's CBRF training consists of five classes (four of which are regulated by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.) In order for a person to be CBRF-certified, they must successfully complete all five classes. These classes are:
- Standard Precautions (3-Hour Class)
- Medication Management (12-hour class)
- FIrst Aid (5-Hour Class)
- Fire Safety (5-Hour Class)
- Dietary (2-Hour Class)
Students who successfully complete Fire Safety, First Aid/Choking, Medication Administration and Standard Precautions will be added to the CBRF registry, in compliance with DHS 83. Certificates of completion will be issued for all students who successfully complete the Dietary training.
Download the April 2014 CBRF Class Brochure
Download the May 2014 CBRF Class Brochure
Download the June 2014 CBRF Class BrochureReturn to Top
- Registration Form
Download the registration form here. Please complete the form, making sure to indicate the first and second choice of the class date that you want to attend.Return to Top
- Cost of CBRF Certification
All classes are priced individually. Fees include classroom supplies and CBRF registration fees in order to be added to teh state CBRF registry (if applicable.) Completion certificates are also included in the fees for the classes that are not included in the registry.
- Standard Precautions: $90
- Medication Administration: $190
- First Aid/Choking: $125
- Fire Safety: $105
- Dietary: $35
Total for CBRF certification at MCFI: $545Return to Top
Payment accepted at MCFI. Acceptable payment methods are listed on the CBRF registration form. If you have questions regarding payment, please contact Kristen Nehring at (414) 937-2094.
Students will not be registered for classes until payment is received.Return to Top
- Cancellation Policy
Students wishing to cancel their registration or re-schedule a class must do so within 48 hours of the registered class in order to receive a refund for that class. Refunds will not be given if less than a 48-hour notice is given. Any refunds may take four to six weeks to process.
MCFI reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any classes due to low registration. Students will be given at least 24-hour notice and will be given the opportunity to reschedule.Return to Top
- Registration Information
Contact Kristen Nehring at (414) 937-2094 or Kristen.Nehring@mcfi.net to request the registration form or download the registration form. Students must register for all five classes offered, since successful completion of all five classes is required in order to receive full certification. If students have completed some classes in the past, please contact MCFI to discuss how to complete the certification.
Registration forms should be returned to Kristen Nehring at MCFI via:
- Mail - Milwaukee Center for Independence, Attn: Kristen Nehring, 2020 W. Wells St., Milwaukee, WI 53233
- Fax: Attn Kristen Nehring, (414) 937-2021
- Email: Kristen.Nehring@mcfi.net
Once your registration form and payment is received, students are sent a registration letter via mail or email (preference should be indicated on the registration form.) All classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Every attempt is made to get students registered for the first class date indicated on their application, however if that class is full, students will be registered for their second choice.
MCFI provides quality training for any employer needing CBRF training for employees. Since classes are offered on an individualized basis, employers have the flexibility to send employees to all classes, or only specific classes. The variety in the class schedule also allows for employers to send multiple employees to training throughout the month. MCFI recognizes that employers may have a larger or special request in order to accommodate their specific training needs. MCFI is willing to work with any employer in attempts to accommodate such requests. Please contact Kristen Nehring at (414) 937-2094 or send us an email to discuss these requests.Return to Top
- CBRF Courses Provided at MCFI
MCFI offers five CBRF classes on a rotating basis. These classes are:
- Medication Administration
- Standard Precautions
- First Aid/Choking
- Fire Safety
Classes are offered sporadically throughout the month to allow students to attend classes that fit within their schedules. Additional courses are offered to employers on an indvidualized basis. For more information, contact Kristen Nehring at (414) 937-2094 or send us an email.
- Training must be completed in order to meet the training requirements per DHS 83.
- Proper use of personal protective equipment needed to prevent the transmission of blood-borne pathogens and other communicable diseases.
- Proper procedures for handling infectious materials.
- Standards for handling food and laundry.
- Any individual administering medication within a CBRF must complete this training in order to meet the requirements per DHS 83
- Types of medications, medication terminology and methods of administration.
- Legal and ethical issues involved with administering medication, as well as resident rights
- Types of supervision
- Training must be completed in order to meet the training requirements per DHS 83
- DHS 83 guidelines and requirements
- How to identify and respond to fire emergencies
- Learn about fire (its properties, causes, etc.)
- Evacuation procedures
- Other emergencies also covered (tornados, hurricanes, flooding)
- Training must be completed in order to meet the training requirements per DHS 83
- Basic First Aid, including handling or how to handle bleeding episodes, seizures, cardiac and breathing emergencies, heat or cold overexposure, and soft tissue and joint injuries.
- Choking maneuver
- This training meets DHS 83 guidelines and requirements regarding food preparation and sanitation. Must be taken prior to preparing or serving food within a CBRF.
- Information regarding general nutrition, knowledge and special diets
- Proper sanitation techniques as well as preparation, safe handling and storage of food
- Information regarding food borne illnesses and proper techniques for prevention
Other CBRF Classes Offered at MCFI
Classes listed below are available to employers on an individualized basis, please note that special restrictions apply. Please contact Kristen Nehring at (414) 937-2094 or send us an email.
Client Specific ($65)
- Advanced aging
- Physical changes associated with aging, as well as psychological effects of aging
- Human growth and development
Challenging Behaviors ($65)
- Effective goals and approaches to managing various behaviors
- How to avoid escalation of negative behaviors
- Therapeutic techniques
- Suicide identification and prevention
Resident Rights ($65)
- DHS 83 guidelines and requirements - listing of rights of residents in facility
- Desired caregiver attitudes
- Roles and responsibilities regarding resident rights (advocacy)
- HIPAA and confidentiality
Individual Service Plan/Needs ($35)
Return to Top
- Individual service plan - what it consists of
- Examination of client care needs and goals
- Review ways that plans are supported (goals and objectives)
- Staff responsibilities of documentation and observation
- CBRF Class Schedule
April 2014 Class Schedule
- First Aid/Choking, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 8, $125, including registration fee
- Dietary, 2:30 to 5 p.m. April 8, $35
- FIre Safety, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 10, $105, including registration fee
- Standard Precautions, 2 to 5 p.m. April 10, $90, including registration fee
- Medication Administration (2-Day Class), 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. April 21 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m April 22, $190, including registration fee
- Standard Precautions, 2 to 5 p.m. April 22, $90, including registration fee
- Fire Safety, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 24, $105, including registration fee
- Dietary, 2 to 4 :30 p.m., April 24, $35
- First Aid/Choking, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 25, $125, including registration fee (This class is now full)
May 2014 Class Schedule
- Fire Safety, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 6, $105 including registration fee
- Standard Precautions, 2 to 5 p.m. May 6, $90 including registration fee
- First Aid/Choking, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 8, $125 including registration fee
- Dietary, 2:30 to 5 p.m. May 8, $35
- Medication Administration (2-Day Class), 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May 19 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 20, $190 including registration fee
- Fire Safety, 8 a.m. to 1 .m. May 20, $105 including registration fee
- Standard Precautions, 2 to 5 p.m. May 20, $90 including registration fee
- First Aid/Choking, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 22, $125 including registration fee
- Dietary, 2:30 to 5 p.m. May 22, $35
- Medication Administration (2-Day Class), 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May 28 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 29, $190 including registration fee
June 2014 Class Schedule
- Fire Safety, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., June 9, $105 including registration fee
- Dietary, 2 to 4:30 p.m. June 9, $35
- First Aid/Choking, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 11, $125 including registration fee
- Standard Precautions, 2 to 5 p.m. June 11, $90 including registration fee
- Medication Administration (2-Day Class), 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. June 18 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 19, $190, registration fee included
- Fire Safety, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., June 24, $105 registration fee included
- Standard Precautions, 2 to 5 p.m. June 24, $90 registration fee included
- Dietary, 2 to 4:30 p.m. June 25, $35
- First Aid/Choking, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 26, $125 registration fee included
- Medication Administration (2-Day Class), 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. June 30 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 1, $190, registration fee included
Download the CBRF Class Registration Form
Download the CBRF April 2014 Class Schedule Brochure
Download the CBRF May 2014 Class Schedule Brochure
Download the CBRF June 2014 Class Schedule BrochureReturn to Top
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I start the registration process?
Contact Kristen Nehring at (414) 937-2094 or Kirsten.Nehring@mcfi.net to request a registration form and schedule or download the form and schedule. Complete and return the form to Kristen Nehring:
- Mail to: Milwaukee Center for Independence, Attn: Kristen Nehring, 2020 W. Wells St., Milwaukee, WI 53233
- Fax: Attn: Kristen Nehring (414) 937-2021
- Email: email@example.com
How do I know what classes I am registered for?
Students are sent a registration letter via mail or email informing them of the classes for which they are registered. Additional registration information is also sent with the letter.
How far in advance should I register for the classes?
Classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend that students send in their registratin forms as soon as possible to reserve a spot in the desired class.
Is there a limit to the number of participants allowed in each class?
There is not a set limit as to the number of students in each class, however, the type of training and the training room may require a limit. It is important that all students indicate a first and second choice of class dates on their registration forms to ensure that they are registered for a class that works with their schedule.
If I have already completed CBRF classes in the past, and require only select classes, can I take only those specific classes?
Students in this situation are able to take only the classes needed to complete their certification; however, it is recommended that you contact Kristen Nehring at (414) 937-2094 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Each situation may be different adn Kristen will be more than happy to assist you in making sure that you have completed the necessary classes required for your CBRF certification.
Who is eligible to enroll in CBRF classes?
Although MCFI does not have requirements for individuals attending this training, students should look into potential employer requirements for CBRF positions to ensure that they will be eligible for employment after CBRF certification is earned.
What are the hours of the CBRF classes?
All classes are scheduled Monday through Friday with the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Start and end times vary, depending on the length of the class.
Do you offer night and weekend classes?
Not at this time.
Is there a certain order in which I need to complete CBRF classes?
No. In order to complete the CBRF certification, students just need to successfully complete all five classes.
When do I pay for my classes?
We recommend that you send payment with your registration form. You are not registered for classes until payment is received. If you wish to pay for one class at a time, please contact Kristen Nehring at (414) 937-2094 or email@example.com to discuss this.
Do you accept financial aid or other funding?
At this time, MCFI does not offer financial aid or scholarships. If you have arranged for funding with a state agency or another third party, please indicate this on your application. Additional documentation or qualification requirements may apply, depending on the referring agency. MCFI will meet with individuals at the end of orientation in order to discuss enrollment requirements.
Return to Top